Julie's Reviews > Lioness Rampant

Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I should have stopped reading this series after the first book. And I'd like to dock half a star on this for the needless murder of a cat.

SIGH.

Maybe high fantasy isn't really my thing. Maybe I needed this magic system more fully explained than it was. Maybe I needed something more in-depth than a middle-grade series could provide. I'm not sure where this series went wrong.

(And speaking of middle grade, Alanna sure gets laid a lot for a middle-grade series. I'm just throwing that out there. And don't try to tell me that this book isn't middle grade, because it's not written above maybe a fifth grade level.)

I just couldn't get behind this. SPOILERS There was just no doubt that things would happen the way they did. Of course Alanna would be able to pass as a boy with no problems. Of course she'd become Jon's squire. Of course she'll pass her trial and become a knight. Of course they'll defeat the whatever it was in the first book. OF COURSE Jon isn't offended that she's been masquerading as a boy and basically abusing his trust. Of course Roger is evil, of course he isn't dead, of course he still has magic. Nothing is a surprise or suspenseful and everything turns out exactly the way you assume it will.

It's just boring. I think if it weren't middle grade, there could have been a lot more to it, a lot more development, that would have made it a much better series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lioness Rampant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree... it was like graceling (if you've read that) absolutely perfect female character, random sex scene(s) that don't belong in the book... etc...

But I read this for the first time when I was 12 and I liked it back then, but then I re-read it a few years later and... yeah.. I was disappointed.

A REALLY good high fantasy series is the seven realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, I highly recommend it :)

message 2: by Shailaja (new)

Shailaja HEY LOOK, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT KILLS ANIMALS.

Caitlin The Song of the Lioness Quartet were my least favorite Tamora Pierce books. I adore the rest of her novels & her Protector of the Small Quartet still is ranked in my favorite books. Don't let her first novels dissuade you from reading more of her work. After all, practice makes perfect! (: