Emily Adams's Reviews > The Dead Don't Dance

The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin

Feb 10, 12

Read in January, 2012

My sister-in-law gave me this book for my birthday two years ago and now that I am done with school, I enlisted Burke in reading it with me. Being new parents, this story hit close to home with the preparation, excitement and anticipation of a new baby. I had to pass the book to Burke to read numerous times as I found myself in tears over the death of the baby and the heartache Dillan experiences as Maggie's fate is left uncertain. Being an English teacher, I of course related with and loved Dillan's character and the way he handles himself in the classroom. I have actually starred and bookmarked the section where he deals with plagiarism in his classroom. I wish I had read that before I dealt with my own plagiarizing students! We loved the small, southern, farm town and the characters that Martin did such a lovely job portraying. Burke had to explain some of the references to hunting, farming and trucks that I would not have caught on my own. You get the sense that the author knows each and every one of these characters in his own life and has done a fantastic job introducing them to his readers. There are a few mature elements that are briefly touched upon; rape, abortion, and alcoholism, but they are tastefully handled. I thoroughly enjoyed this story with its message of faith, hope and love and would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Don't Dance.