Miriam's Reviews > Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories

Across the Wall by Garth Nix

Aug 06, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories, young-adult
Read in July, 2008

Garth Nix is a wonderful writer. I haven't read his Abhorsen series so I skipped over the Abhorsen story in this collection, but I read all the others and thoroughly enjoyed them all. "Under the Lake" was weird but brilliant, and "Down to the Scum Quarter" was incredibly fun. The latter story is written in 100 paragraphs and the reader sort of makes his own story by being directed to certain paragraphs depending on what objects he has chosen to carry with him and/or what he wants his character do. For example, this is in paragraph 3: "Descending to the next floor, you find yourself in a barbershop...There are four doors, sixteen reflections, and a trapdoor.
Do you go through the door marked with a tiger? Go to 85 Or the door marked with a lady? go to 39." Etc. The numerous stories are all very comic, as it is a mock-Three Musketeers style theme. I spent a couple hours in great enjoyment of this story (or Stories!).
Anyway: My favorite stories were "My New Really Epic Fantasy Series" (An absolutely hilarious "Prologue" to a fake fantasy series, poking fun at the fantasy genre) "Three Roses", and "Hope Chest", and "Endings" (which is unbelievablly brilliant and thought provoking). "Heart's Desire" overturned all my previous thoughts about Vivien and Merlin.
So! I'm going to read more Garth Nix!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Wall.