Don Bradshaw's Reviews > Treasure

Treasure by Megan Derr

Mar 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: dragons, fantasy, gay-romance, gods-godesses, magic, twins
Read in February, 2012

Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

I love a good fantasy book but Ms Derr just did not provide it this time. I came away with more questions than I had at the beginning of the book. The Old Gods have all but died out and humans have stolen their power. Prince Nankyokuki is the third son of the family that controls the Eye of the Storm which is the dragon's power. The power comes at a high cost though and the prince's life is the cost. Prince Kyo has other plans though and travels with a band of friends to a lost island to return the Eye of the Storm to the dragons. There was absolutely no world building in this book which was a big turn off. The reader is expected to just jump over the holes in the story. Why are twins forbidden? Where are the Old Gods? Why are the mermaids so angry? There was a large amount of Kyo, Taka, Kin and Raiden fumbling around in the dark but I never got a sense that they were going anywhere. Ms Derr wrapped everything up in the last six pages of the book and there were still many unanswered questions. Treasure is the first book in The Lost Gods series. I sure hope that the rest of the series has some flair and polish to it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure.