Elaine's Reviews > Yes, My Darling Daughter

Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy

Feb 13, 2012

it was ok

Having loved "The Collaborator", I had high hopes for this novel-especially in view of the very positive reviews available. But how disappointed I was. Although Leroy writes beautifully crafted prose, and has some interesting ideas for her themes and characters, my second foray into her work left me feeling empty and dissatisfied.

Firstly the underlying theme-reincarnation. This could be a good vehicle for a facinating examination of inexplicable events and emotions. However, it fell far short of this, and in fact skimmed through the more challenging aspects which could have lifted this into another realm.

Secondly,I hang my head in shame to admit that I found Sylvie one of the most obnoxious literary characters.........EVER! Her precociousness knows no bounds-were she an adult, you would happily help me strangle her ("Grace, I want......."). I found myself far more interested in the adult characters-I think I would have derived much more from this had it simply recounted the story between Grace and Adam.

However, I shan't be deterred, as I have high hopes that Leroy's other works may just reach the heights of "The Collaborator"-but it may be some time before I venture forth to sample them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes, My Darling Daughter.