Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > Round Up the Usual Suspects: The Making of Casablanca--Bogart, Bergman, and World War II

Round Up the Usual Suspects by Aljean Harmetz

Feb 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: movies, history
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.sparknotes.com/film/casabl...
Read from April 09 to May 22, 2012

This did a very good job of explaining the climate in which Casablanca was made: the studio system, the effects of the war on available labor, the Hayes Code, the HUAC hearings. There was also a lot of detailed research on how Casablanca was made. I think it will enhance my understanding of and appreciation for the movie. What I felt was missing, though, was an exploration of whether the movie was a faithful depiction of life in Casablanca during this time.

There was also a bunch of material that felt somewhat extraneous — lots of time devoted to what happened to the various actors and other personnel who appeared in Casablanca after the film. Plus, I could really have done without the various scholarly interpretations of the film. (Why do people take Freudian/Oedipal criticism seriously. Why.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Round Up the Usual Suspects.

Quotes Snail in Danger (Sid) Liked

“Writers of fiction embellish reality almost without knowing it.”
Aljean Harmetz, Round Up the Usual Suspects: The Making of Casablanca--Bogart, Bergman, and World War II

05/06/2012 page 102
25.0% "Resumed, after much YA digression. Interesting to read about the way the studio system worked."
05/07/2012 page 186
46.0% "Much as I am enjoying this book I think it's ruined "I Want to Be Peter Lorre" for me. Knowing how much he worried about being typecast as a villain and how he took drugs to get through making Mr. Moto movies ... yeah."
05/18/2012 page 246
61.0% "Blargh, I knew the Hayes Code was dumb, but I didn't realize it was actively horrifying. A Hayes Code reviewer on Confessions of a Nazi Spy: "Hitler and his gov't are unfairly represented ... To represent Hitler only as a screaming madman and a bloodthirsty persecutor ... is manifestly unfair, considering his phenomenal public career, his unchallenged political and social achievement ..." Blech. (likely from 1938)"
show 1 hidden update…