Patty's Reviews > The Volcano Lover

The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: readin12
Read from February 10 to 25, 2012

This was a hard book to get into. The challenge was gettin through the superficial lives of it's 3 main characters. It is discribed as an historical novel, but I thought the author spent way too much time with their internal struggles which were very common and disgustingly predictable. I also question whether this was a true romance novel.

When the "action" picked up which is to say when somthing actually happens the possibility for a good situaltion to learn something about this period in History; the late 1700's, the French Revolution and the Neapolitan Republic, Napolean and Lord Nelson, even the art of collecting and selling antiquities there just isn't enough. I guess I just wanted more than just an emotional carnival ride.

I'd like to know more about Revolution in general after this read, since Sontag does give some wonderful insites into why and how change progresses. How the mob mentality works and how even those with the best intentions are somtimes thwarted. Perhaps Sontag should have used the essay form to get her points across.

I couldn't recommend the book to anyone but I'm glad I was able to persevere.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Volcano Lover.