Virginia Campbell's Reviews > What Happened to Hannah

What Happened to Hannah by Mary Kay McComas

Feb 10, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, romance, womens-fiction
Read in February, 2012

When we are growing up, and viewing life through young eyes, we often don't see the true reality of the world around us. Hurtful things may cause us to make our own reality. We may be looking and listening, but still not comprehending. Sometimes, it takes maturity and similar experiences in our later years to really grasp the full meaning of what we have seen and experienced. Life is a continual learning process, full of starts, stops, and restarts. The truth is always there, waiting. We just have to find it. It already knows exactly where to find us. In "What Happened to Hannah", by Mary Kay McComas, the truth comes home to Hannah Benson in a startling manner, and one phone call forever changes the path of her life. To escape the cycle of abuse, Hannah had left home at age sixteen and never looked back. In high school, Grady Steadman was Hannah's sweetheart. Years later when he calls her, he is the sheriff of their hometown, informing her that her mother has just passed away. He also tells her that her sister had died some time ago and left behind a young daughter. Hannah's return to her home place is bittersweet, and she is forced to deal with painful memories and haunting ghosts from her past. She must also find a way to make a new life for herself and for her niece, Anna. With Grady now again a visible presence, Hannah's heart remembers how they once felt about each other, and feelings long denied flicker back into flame. In order to grasp a chance at true happiness, Hannah must let go of the weight of the past and grab on to the future with all of her heart.

Abuse has long -lasting, widespread effects-not just on the victim, but on those who care for the victim. All of us, whether we realize it or not, know someone who has been abused at some point in their life. The first reaction to abuse is denial. It's a subject which makes people uncomfortable, and the victims often linger in a very painful silence. Writing about it may encourage someone who is a victim to seek help. Acknowledgement is not only a first step, it's a giant leap!

Review Copy Gratis Amazon Vine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Hannah.