Brittany's Reviews > The Eternal Smile: Three Stories

The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, young-adult
Read on February 10, 2012

Meet a knight in shining armor. His world may not be what it appears though. He may be just trying to find something better.
Picture talking, money-hungry frogs finding an Eternal Smile in the sky. They try to start a profitable religion, but then things go too far.
Find out what happens if you send that Nigerian Prince your bank account information and keep sending him money.

These were some really odd stories. Not quite what I was expecting. The prince one was interesting, but the ending was a little much. It seemed like there felt there needed to be a resolution, so they just made one. I liked finding out what the Eternal Smile was, but I think that was my least favorite story. I really didn't like the money-hungry frog. I guess the ending of that story was okay though. The third one may have been my favorite. It was a really interesting take on something that all of us have seen or heard of. I mean, everyone has gotten an e-mail from a Nigerian Prince asking for money. I liked how shy and quirky the girl was. She just sent the money no problem. Sometimes you do just need to feel like you're helping someone. This was not my favorite set of stories by this author, but they weren't bad. I loved the different illustrations styles for each of the three stories. It was a fast read, and worth checking out. I just feel like maybe I missed some big purpose in some of the stories.

First Line of each story:
"zZZZz"
"Frogville USA! Gran'Pa Greenbax watches eagerly as the spoils of his latest profitable adventure pour into his legendary POOL O'CASH!"
"What are you milling around here for?"

Favorite Lines:
"Forgive me, sire, but perhaps it would behoove you to pay attention. This is, after all, your wedding."
"The Angel of Vengeance is ready!"
"You used my money to make genitals for a video game?"

Read more: http://www.areadingnook.com/#ixzz1m24...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Smile.

02/10/2012 page 176