Sisa Petse's Reviews > Nicholas Nickleby

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2012

First I have to say I’m not the biggest fan of fiction. The idea of non-existent characters and plots that only exist in the mind of authors repulses any intrinsic interest. But sometimes the allure of curiosity gets the better of me. Secondly since this year was the second centenary of this famous author. I thought why not? Anyway I need to read something before I can do my own ‘critical appraisal.’
So I bought Nicolas Nickleby by Charlse Dickens (wordswoth classics). They come cheap on some websites you get this stuff for free (downloadable e-version that is). And that’s it I was ready for my first Dickensian experience. The cover it self is very classic-not surprising and the book is long (my standards). The book is based on Victorian England and has a number of characters. Mainly it’s the impact of parents on their kids. The treatment of young kids at boarding schools, in which I suppose they were virtually abandoned.
He creates good characters with excellent story lines that I found so pragmatic. I thought I was living in the old England. In fact, in the introduction Dickens tells us that several of Yorkshire schoolmasters thought the book was based on them and threatened legal action. The other aspect I enjoyed is the clear narrative of the English language. In fact I find this in most classic books.
After reading this my general attitude towards classics and fiction to be specific changed. The book is large but extremely readable. Another Charlse Dickens will do especially his more popular writings.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nicholas Nickleby.