Heather June Gibbons's Reviews > Pity the Bathtub Its Forced Embrace of the Human Form

Pity the Bathtub Its Forced Embrace of the Human Form by Matthea Harvey

Jul 17, 08

Because I'm futzing with my own sectioned book, I'm particularly attuned to how contemporary poets use the unit of the section in a collection. I'm not totally sure I understand the hows and whys of Harvey's sectioning vision here, though I do appreciate the break and breath it provides.

In the first section, the title poem has wonderful dynamism and a strange, jerky music, and the persona of the Self Portraits sequence I found compelling and the sense of form that felt very sure to me. I could not get into the poems in the second section-- I'm easily intimidated by long lines that eschew punctuation. But then the third section comes, and it's just packed with gems: "The Oboe Player" is a dead-on, witty idea finely-rendered, "Thermae" is fascinating, and a nice shift in terms of voice, form, and concern, and I loved "Letting Go." And all four poems/sequences/pieces of the final section are *gorgeous*-- "Ceiling Unlimited Series" gave me chills. What lovely, heartbreaking episodes.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pity the Bathtub Its Forced Embrace of the Human Form.