Jess's Reviews > Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature

Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, high-school
Read in July, 2008

This is a solid example of realistic YA fiction, where there are some "issues" but they don't overpower the story or the characters. I haven't run into many YA books where the main character is religious, and examines her beliefs over the course of the book in a believable way. Sometimes I wanted her to snap out of her insecurities, but they were believable, too. The plot is surprisingly fun, given all the things Mena is agonizing over, and most of the side characters are three-dimensional and fascinating; I got the sense that Brande had complete back-stories on all of them, even if 99% of that information never made it into the book. Some of Mena's old friends run the risk of being stock characters - although there is a moment towards the end when we see that one is not. I would love to see the story retold from Casey's point of view - to learn more about his family and his life, and see Mena from his point of view. Definitely recommended for middle schoolers/teens looking for good characters with a dash of religion and science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature.