Abi's Reviews > Hound Dog True

Hound Dog True by Linda Urban

Feb 28, 2012

bookshelves: middle-grade-reads, readaloud
Read in February, 2012

Linda Urban's novel is lyrical, fresh, and refreshing - like a breeze in wind chimes on a summer day.

Mattie is a raw and loveable character, surrounded by an original and richly imagined cast.

Hound Dog True is the story of the week before Mattie starts fifth grade, a week that changes her life. I appreciated Urban's care in choosing her descriptions, her time frame, and her characters. Everything in the book is just right, in its place, like the tools in Uncle Potluck's Custodial Arts office.

I strongly suspect this is a five-star book for me. I fell in love with all the characters who Urban took the time to depict (except Crystal!), and particularly - especially - with Mattie.

I almost put this on my poetry shelf, because Urban's writing is so lush (and at times laconic) that it feels like poetry. Reading Hound Dog True was like reading short stories by Alice Walker or Jean Toomer, except it's a middle grade novel.

(Readers who enjoy this would likely also enjoy Love, Ruby Lavender, Heartbeat or Love That Dog, and - if they're up for the saddest book I've ever read - Out of the Dust. I could go on, but those are the novels that it tasted the most like, for me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hound Dog True.

Colby Sharp I love this book.

message 2: by Abi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abi That's what makes me want to read it! :) I love being connected to an amazing virtual reading community.

message 3: by Abi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abi Thank you and Jen V for doing the book club of this, or I probably would never have discovered Mattie and her story. I love this book, too.