Justin's Reviews > Hilarity Ensues

Hilarity Ensues by Tucker Max

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: arcs-and-from-work, biographies
Read from February 09 to 23, 2012

Basically what I expected from Tucker Max, no more, no less. Some of the stories were really funny, while others just kind of made me shake my head and groan. It must have been a fun time collecting all these stories, but at the same time I'm not surprised at Max's epilogue and essentially his retirement from his 20's.

The one thing I wasn't really a fan of was his over-the-top arrogance in his stories. The other two opened with some kind of preface about who he is and what he does, this one just kind of assumed that everyone was aware of who he is and why he's a big deal. Not that I didn't expect narcissism, I just didn't expect it so blatantly in his style of writing.

I generally liked this book, because it was still hilarious but does show a different side of Tucker Max. He wants marriage and children, and he's finally at that point in his life where he realizes that he won't get it through drinking and whoring his life away. I mean, early 30's is a little late for that kind of epiphany, but better late than never. I hope he finds what he's looking for, and finds success with writing that's not 'fratire' as he calls his stories.

Additionally, I'm really looking forward to seeing new books by him, maybe something with some kind of sustenance? He's a fantastic storyteller so I'm sure a work of fiction by him would be good. I mean, it can't be worse than Snooki's 'A Shore Thing', can it?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hilarity Ensues.

02/09/2012 page 18
4.0% "He seems more full of himself in the style of writing in this installment than in the first two books.. Kind of an air of undeserved entitlement. He's an alcoholic womanizing asshole, and his first two books showed that. This book is a little more arrogant in nature. The stories are similar, and still make me laugh, I just get that vibe from this book."
02/13/2012 page 60
14.0% "generally enjoying this book. some of the stories are so-so, and others are laugh-out-loud funny. literally."
02/16/2012 page 191
46.0% "Okay, I concede defeat. This collection of stories is somewhat over the top, but still hilarious. And I do recall the TMZ story about it taking 5 bouncers to boot him from the convention he was at, hahah."
show 5 hidden updates…