Shanleigh's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: middle-grade
Read in August, 2012

I had hoped beyond hope that this one would live up to its predecessor. I am sad, and quite heartbroken to find that for me, it fell rather than flew.

Now this is not to say that I hated the book; there were elements I wholeheartedly adored. The Sibyl, the Duke of Teatime and the Vicereine of Coffee, Aubergine... I couldn't get enough of them. But there were moments (more than one) where the book just seemed to drag on. I'd find myself counting down the pages until the next chapter.

The ending picked up quite a lot, and of course Catherynne Valente is a genius at the art of subtly. Her ability to weave the small and insignificant details into overwhelming moments of importance and clarity is inspiring. I really have never met another author who could do the same (Well, Ms. Rowling, but really she is in a league of her own.).

I think if I hadn't loved the The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making so much, almost to the point of obsession, I wouldn't have been as disappointed as I am right now. Alas, such is not the case. While The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There is a book much and far better than the average, it didn't quite live up to the (possibly unrealistic) expectations I had.

And yet, should Ms. Valente release another in this series, I will still be one of the first in line. September is one of the best heroines (Knight? Princess? Bishop?) ever created, and my love for her remains strong and most definitely intact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.