Monique's Reviews > number9dream

number9dream by David Mitchell

Feb 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, absolute-favorite, fiction, thrillers, metafiction
Read from August 06 to September 01, 2012 — I own a copy

No less than 5 amazing stars.

Originally posted here.

Nine things about number9dream

1. That was one helluva whirlwind read! Alternating between reality and fantasies-cum-dreams took me for a loop, but I'd gladly do it again. No one can do that to me and totally awe me like Mitchell just did.

2. Is this metafiction? Are there traces of metafiction in this novel? If the answer is yes to either question, then I think I could definitely get used to the genre.

3. "Maybe the meaning of life lies in looking for it."

4. Study of Tales. Story within a story. Within a story.

5. There is no question now about Mitchell's writing talent - to echo a buddy's observation, is there anything the guy couldn't do? He can write convincingly as a different person, all within a single novel. He jumbles and interjects the literal with the figurative. He's like a literary architect who combines various structural motifs to make a fabulous whole.

6. Notwithstanding the reading slump I endured while this book was on my currently-reading shelf, its appeal did not diminish the least bit. That tells a lot about how awesome this book is, doesn't it?

7. It made me curious about John Lennon's song, #9dream, from which the title is derived. Because of this, I'm set to make a playlist devoted solely to songs mentioned in books.

8. The number of references to the Philippines and its citizens brings hope that one of these days, Mitchell will pay a visit to Manila. Fangirl mode!

9. [blank]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read number9dream.

08/11/2012 page 40
10.0% "PanOpticon. Fantasies."
08/15/2012 page 82
20.0% "Lost Property."
08/21/2012 page 149
36.0% "Video Games."
08/22/2012 page 165
39.0% "Reclaimed Land: My, my, isn't this getting more and more science-fiction-ish by the page." 2 comments
08/23/2012 page 214
51.0% "STUDY OF TALES: It's so nice to meet you, Goatwriter! I think we'll be very, very good friends. :D"
08/28/2012 page 250
60.0% "David, it's work. And this persistent tamaritis."
08/29/2012 page 267
64.0% "End of Study of Tales: David Mitchell, I love you."
03/04/2016 marked as: read

Angus This one is on my TBR this month! (And I'm raving!)

Monique Gosh, I don't know which one to prioritize anymore! Waaah!

Angus Mitchell Marathon!

Angus Listen to John Lennon's #9dream!

Monique Buddy: I plan to. :))

Aldrin Ah bowakawa pousse pousse!

Monique Aldrin: Now I *finally* know what that means, haha! :)

message 8: by Reev (new)

Reev Robledo Wow, lots of 5-star reviews. Forgot I bought a copy of this when it first came out in 2001(?). Just found it a while ago. May kagat na ng daga. Think I got bored after the third chapter hehe but will give it another shot...after Cloud Atlas. :)

Monique REEV: You'll find that I have never given less than 5 stars to any Mitchell book. Currently reading De Zoet, so we'll see if there's a first time. :)