Holden Attradies's Reviews > Far Out: 101 Strange Tales From Science's Outer Edge

Far Out by Mark Pilkington

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, science
Read in February, 2012, read count: 2

There is an amazing premiss for a book here, and I remember being blown away by it the first time I read through it.

I've matured a lot, grown up a lot, and learned a lot since my first reading of this book and I have to say I was pretty disappointed my second read through. I have two main complaints: it's too brief and it buy's into to too much woo (Woo is a word that means "made up bull shit").

First about it being too short: Almost every topic in here is covered in a page or less and has the word count of a small wiki article. I think with just a little bit more research time and a slightly bigger page size this book could have had the information included flushed out way more. I was left wanting to know more about almost all of these subjects. I know the book was meant to be a short romp through these things, but I guess I just felt it didn't' need to be quite this short.

My second, and last complaint was the inclusion of a very un-skeptical view of things. The most annoying thing about this is in most entries in the book this non-reality based point of view was placed in one single last paragraph. So the author would spend two pages talking about some scientific theory dis-proven 100 years ago only to spend the last sentence saying "but some nuts still think it might be true, so who knows?" I felt it REALLY took away from the enjoyability and credibility of the book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far Out.