Marsha's Reviews > Devour

1991207
Feb 12, 12

Recommended for: Young Adults
Read on February 12, 2012, read count: Once

Wow, this is a difficult review for me to write because while there are so good things in this book the bad cancelled them out. Thus, my reasoning for the 2 star review.

Clara came home from the movies to find her parents murdered 3 months ago. Her older sister re-enlists in the armed forces and she goes to live with her pastor's family while she finishes her senior year. Although Clara has suffered a tragic loss, she manages to find goodness in the world. She has a boyfriend, Nate who is the captain of the wrestling team and all around good guy. She also has her friends, the popular crowd.

Then one day in the park, while gazing at the clouds Clara meets a new boy, Eli and her life will never be the same.Eli is not a normal teenage boy, he is a devourer or a life force that feeds off the negative emotions of others. But, upon meeting Clara he no longer wants to feel anything but love. One of the things I liked about this story is that Clara has the courage of her convictions to at least try to do the right thing. Although she is attracted to Eli, she remains loyal to Nate and does not act upon it even after he becomes abusive. When her friends are bullies and cruel to others unfortunately she is silent and does not stand up for the underdog. However, that changes with the Eli's constant interest in her.

Now, what didn't I like? I really hated all of the incessant dialogues between Eli and Clara about how much they loved each other and were meant for each other. It was too cheesy and unrealistic. Also, there just was not enough suspense for me. I thought once the Hordes came, I was going to finally read some truly interesting material but it just did not hold my interest very long. There just was not enough action.
I will say this, the character of the bird has potential to truly make the story line more interesting.

In the end, I just felt this was an okay read. I know that I will not be continuing on to the next book in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devour.