Leslie's Reviews > That Boy

That Boy by Jillian Dodd

Dec 26, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, paranormal, young-adult
Read from June 10 to 17, 2012

This hilarious story begins through the perspective of Jadyn, a 4th grade tomboy, who is best friends with Phillip, the boy next door. Which is nice because he likes throwing a ball around and doing fun non-girly stuff. Although, not long after, a new boy named, Danny, who's mean and thinks football should only be played by boys...hummph!, moves in down the street. So not cool! It takes a couple of days, but Jadyn finally convinces Danny, GIRLS CAN PLAY FOOTBALL TOO and soon, she, Phillip and Danny become the best of friends with an equally rich bond. Through the years that bond carries each of them through wonderfully great times and also some equally tragic ones as well.

It was incredibly fun moving through the years with these three, "I-seriously-got your-back" friends, starting with their elementary school into middle, high school, college, and beyond. Oh, and did I mention both boys are REALLY cute? Yeah, well, as they grow older, Jadyn sure notices and yep, both Phillip and Danny also begin realizing just how "hot" Jadyn has become, too! This'll be interesting when the hormones kick in and "boy-howdy", do they ever and ultimately, one will be Jadyn's first kiss, one will take her to her first prom and one will finally be her first real love.

Jillian Dodd can sure tell a story, and a funny, emotional and surprisingly gut wrenching one, at that! Honestly, I usually don't cry in books...I cried in this one. The power that grips you through Dodd's wonderfully entertaining storytelling makes you sincerely feel like you've lived right along with these three BFF's. So much that you're completely unprepared for the emotion that slices right through you when anything happens; good or bad. I wasn't expecting that with this book. I normally don't expect that with most books, frankly. But, WOW, it grabs a hold and doesn't let you go until the very end when you can actually take a deep breath and whisper to yourself, "Ahhh...finally!"

I loved this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Boy.

06/13/2012 "This is such a funny, entertaining book! It's also not what I expected at all." 2 comments
06/15/2012 "Again, "life" is getting in the way of my reading, but I am seriously enjoying Dodd's writing and humor!! Did I mention she and I are having lunch together next week? Yep, she lives like 20 minutes away from me. So excited!" 9 comments

Anne OK I just finished this one, Leslie! Like reading a girl's diary!!

Leslie AnneOK wrote: "I just finished this one, Leslie! Like reading a girl's diary!!"

Oh, really? Very cool...I'm looking foward to it! Thanks, Anne!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Oh, I loved this book!

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Lovely review, Leslie. How would you classify this, what genre??

Leslie Thanks, Jill. Well, I'm not sure, but since I'm actually having lunch with Jillian Dodd this Wednesday, I can ask her!! ;)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Leslie wrote: "Thanks, Jill. Well, I'm not sure, but since I'm actually having lunch with Jillian Dodd this Wednesday, I can ask her!! ;)"

Thanks Leslie!

Leslie Jill, this is Jillian's response to your genre question:

Jillian Dodd Thanks so much for the great review!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Any how, someone asked you what genre the book is. It'd be considered YA/ New Adult. Usually they base it off the age of the characters. It's kinda contemporary romance too, I suppose.

Melissa Brown Fabulous review!! So glad you loved it!!

Melissa Brown Ok, I'm seriously jealous of this lunch...of both of you!!! I want to have lunch with you ladies!!!

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Leslie wrote: "Jill, this is Jillian's response to your genre question:

Thanks Leslie & Jillian!

Leslie Melissa wrote: "Fabulous review!! So glad you loved it!!"

Thank you, Melissa!! I wish you could join us, too! :(

Melissa Brown If I ever find myself in Texas, I'll be callin for a lunch date!!

Leslie Melissa wrote: "If I ever find myself in Texas, I'll be callin for a lunch date!!"

Absolutely, chick!!

message 14: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Leslie. I can't wait to read it!

Leslie Thanks, Karla! It's so good!!

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Great review Leslie....Not sure this is my cup of tea, I don't really do YA.

message 17: by Leslie (last edited Jun 18, 2012 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie Thanks, Dee! Well, it starts out when they're kids, but you grow up with them past college. I wouldn't call it a just a YA. Although, if you're wanting lots of steamy scenes, this isn't the book for you either. It's got some good makeout ones, though! It was really a great book and you know I typically don't read a lot of YA myself. I've since had a change of heart. Probably because I'm always striving for something different. ;)

Leslie Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, Leslie!"

Thank you, sweet, Baba!! Xox

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee Leslie wrote: "It was really a great book and you know I typically don't read a lot of YA myself. I've since had a change of heart. Probably because I'm always striving for something different. ;)"

I still don't think I am ready to jump into that genre just yet but I know exactly what you mean about something different. I think I was in my twenties when I tried reading HR and wasn't bowled over and have avoided them since but recently tried one and now I am loving that genre.....It's clear that tastes do change ☺

Leslie Dee wrote: "Leslie wrote: "It was really a great book and you know I typically don't read a lot of YA myself. I've since had a change of heart. Probably because I'm always striving for something different. ;)"..."

I hear ya, Dee!! Dodd's writing is outstanding, so if you find yourself needing to change directions, and I hope one day you will, you should consider her books! I don't cry in books and jeez, even that took me by surprise!! Great catching up with you, sweet girl!!

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee I will keep her in mind Leslie. I am soppy in that my eyes often tear up especially if there is a lot of angst ha ha

Been good catching up with you too sweetie ☺

Maureen Great review. I'm going to have to get this one.

Leslie It's really great, Maureen! Hilarious, too...oh, and it made me cry. (But dosen't THAT make a great book??) ;)

Maureen What a great recommendation. I'm halfway through and loving it so far. Just shed a few tears.

Leslie Maureen wrote: "What a great recommendation. I'm halfway through and loving it so far. Just shed a few tears."

So happy you're loving it! :)

Sarah Thanks. Your review sold me into reading this book. It's now on tbr pile.

Leslie Yay, Sarah!!