Josh Cutting's Reviews > Until I Find You

Until I Find You by John Irving

Jul 23, 08

Recommended to Josh by: Persis
Recommended for: musicans, tattoo freaks, or any son of split parents
Read in July, 2008

This is a case for me of a pure gut/emotional reaction, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

First of all, this book has totally sold me on John Irving. I read "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and had the hardest time getting into it. I really liked about the last hundred pages, but getting there was a chore, to be quite honest.

But this book, this book had me from the first line to the last. And it is directly because of all of the personal parallels. You have the musician (I'm a musician, a pianist actually) you have the tattoo addiction (4 of my own at last count, the last one being a true test of iron will, but it is freakin SWEET!) The single boy and his single mother, father estrangement, the feeling of a rudderless life, everything.

And at the end, when Jack has discovered certain key people of his life (if you've read, you know what I mean, if not, go read!)I was a puddle! This was the polar opposite of my experience with "Suttree". That novel was a cold masterpiece that at the end had me feeling academic but cold. This one chimed every emotional cord (or chord) in me.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.