Julia's Reviews > Paris in Love

Paris in Love by Eloisa James

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, non-fiction, memoir, own
Read from April 06 to 17, 2012

Every once in a while, I am up for a good memoir. When I heard that one of my favorite romance novel authors was publishing one, I immediately added it to my to be read shelf.

Paris in Love, Eloisa writes in short paragraph like status and collects them seemingly chronologically to tell the story of her year abroad. There are also longer essays scattered about in a chapter header sort of fashion. The result is a wonderful journey through her and her family's year abroad that takes you out of whatever location you are and sets you down in Paris.

I love the things she describes too: the way the horses on the carousel look, the windows in the subway, the laughing statues on the bridge. But what really drives this home for me is the family stories. They bring what could be a fantastical journey into Paris to the level of home cooking and math homework. So it's familiar while bringing you somewhere new.

Overall, the book was a light-hearted read that was at times touchingly poignant. I feel like I would read anything that Eloisa wrote, even if it was a limerick on a bar napkin. If you enjoy memoirs with a splash of French travel and family shenanigans (oh! and a rotund dog) definitely check this one out. Who could say no to rotund dogs?

Check out the extended review at my blog, CompBiblio

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris in Love.

04/13/2012 page 149