Matt's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Jul 30, 08

Read in July, 2008

While I give the book positive marks overall, I have to say that I was incredibly disappointed in the way that it squandered all the wonderful setup from the first half of the novel by turning into a monster movie. I have no problem with the slake-moths, but I really wished they'd only been a subplot in this book.

Miéville does such a wonderful job setting up his world and the characters who live within it that I didn't want a conventional plot to take over. For the first half, I really felt like I was reading something by Neil Gaiman or Grant Morrison. Once the chrysalis opens, however, it all goes out the window, and the book never recovers from there. There are points where I thought it might—the dock strike/riot sequence made me think that Miéville was setting up some absolutely huge events to come (i.e., apocalyptic events)—but to no avail. And there are so many other things that never really feel like they get paid off in any meaningful way, such as the Construct Council, the Weaver, the government characters, Motley and his gang... They're involved, but their arcs feel incomplete.

I do intend to pick up The Scar at some point, but it will probably be a while before I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.