#artdamnit Reads's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

5202002
Feb 09, 2012

it was ok
Read in February, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was…alright.

My friend, The Queen of Anderson sent me the book and a hand knit scarf (!!) and since we usually have the same tastes when it comes to books i was pretty excited.

The plot…was cheesy. Here’s the blurb by BN.com

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
The mythology and monsters and angels and stuff..pretty cool. I liked the Chimera’s and their culture and their magic, the angels were a little generic but still interesting and the creation stories that Taylor created for the two cultures were pretty awesome. I also really loved the setting (Prague) and the characters, mostly Karou’s best friend. The love story and general plot though needed work and it was a little too Twilight-esque for me.

Happy Readings!