Aydnn's Reviews > The Search for WondLa

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

F_50x66
Feb 09, 12

Now, I'm a sucker for imaginative, creative fantasy like this.
But Tony DiTerlizzi has gone beyond the threshold most modern fantasy stays in. Unlike many books of the genre, who stick to a plot somewhere along the lines of "boy/girl has pet dragon/griffin/unicorn. boy/girl goes on adventure with pet dragon/griffin/unicorn. boy/girl meets troll. boy/girl battles troll, but gets hurt. boy/girl meets elf. elf becomes the boy/girl's friend. they continue adventuring" (not an all bad storyline, but overused), The Search for Wondla contains a whole unique world, full of Caeruleans, water bears (which, though a real creature, have had an interesting twist put upon them), and Dorceans.
Eva Nine is a lovable character (unlike Cassia Reyes of Matched...) with a quest we can all relate to- to fit in and find others like her. I'm sure many, if not all, people can remember a time in their life where it seemed like they were the only person with certain hobbies, preferences, and an overall personality. (However, in this book Eva is searching for someone of her species. Same difference.)
I'm not great at writing reviews, and this one is getting thin, but obviously Tony DiTerlizzi is wonderful at writing fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for WondLa.