Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson's Reviews > Ilium

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: audio
Read from February 09 to August 08, 2012

Wow.. where to begin.

Okay... you have Ancient Greeks heroes and gods, Intelligent Robotic beings, and a Utopian future world of some humanoid forms.. and that's just the first 5 minutes!

The book starts off pretty confusing. There are basically three separate storylines that make absolutely no sense. Each story in it self is quite intriguing, however, so I wasn't really put off by that.

I did, however, listen to the first 80% of the book as an audio book read by the author himself, and I must say he doesn't exactly have the most pleasant reading voice so I was slightly put off by that.
At times I thought I'd simply give up on his narrative, but as I went on I kinda got used to it to the point where it stopped bothering me. The entire audio book is 23 hours and 46 minutes long, so when I reached the end of my travels and found that I still had some 6 hours or so left, I decided to just finish reading it myself.

Once the story nears it's conclusion, you start to understand how the stories relate to each other, and the whole thing ends with a bang that left me wanting to start the second book right away.

Generally I am very adverse to saying too much about the storyline as to avoid spoilers, but here I find it quite impossible to say ANYTHING about it without spoiling it. What little there is to say has already been said in the book's description, so I'll just say this:

You like Sci-Fi? You like Historical Fiction? You like mythology, science and classic literature?
You like a good book? Here's one for you. It's utterly bewildering and wonderfully weird, and it works. It actually works! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ilium.

02/10/2012 page 12
02/10/2012 page 12
2.0% "Hmm..... this narrator is QUITE boring. Might have to stop listening."
show 6 hidden updates…