Mick's Reviews > The Two Towers

The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy-reads
Read in February, 2012

This audio version of the book was produced in 2007 by BBC Radio and very nicely performed by a full cast, starring Ian Holm as Frodo.

Since it is a full cast performance piece, there are music and sound effects to contend with that make hushed words and dramatic whispering (of which there are many) very difficult to hear.

Be warned. If you have the volume cranked up to hear the softly spoken words, sudden horn blaring, Orc snarling or shouting will be VERY LOUD and may startle you badly!

At 4 hours 29 minutes, it is very much a worthy Tolkien experience. I would have rated it 4 stars if there had been a better balance between the dialog and background effects for this audio book. For an obviously expensively produced and wonderfully performed radio play (because that's what it is, really) it was rather let down by the sound mixing. Be that as it may, I very much enjoyed having it on in the background for a few days, listening contentedly while I checked my emails and messed around on Goodreads.

I'm thinking of trying out one of the audiobook versions to see how it fares against this edition. I want a version with someone like Stephen Fry reading to me, so I can fall asleep to it like a grown-up bedtime story.

Overdrive Media, who is in cahoots with Adobe, Amazon and B&N to DRM every bit of media in existence under the guise of making them "lendable by libraries and across platforms," is working on a audiobook shut-off timer function for their software. So I guess I'm not the only adult who wants a bedtime story I don't have to leave the light on for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.