Angie's Reviews > Pearl

Pearl by Jo Knowles

Feb 15, 12

Read from February 09 to 15, 2012

"This book was terrible. I wish I could give it negative stars.
The plot makes no sense whatsoever and the characters are poorly developed. All of a sudden, Henry's agoraphobic mom leaves the house after 15 years of solitude and starts hanging out with Bean's mom? And Bean's Mom never gave any indication she was gay for 15 years?

I understand that Bean's mom, Lexie, was putting on an act for Gus, and when he died, it was time to be herself. But not just the next day. And if this Claire was her partner for the last 15 years, she would have been nicer to Bean. She also wouldn't have gone all dyked out with her hairstyle suddenly. Gus wasn't Claire's Dad, so she could have looked as gay as she wanted.
It makes me wonder if the author has ever met a real-life lesbian.

While reading Lexie's coming-out scene, a co-worker described my face as "Like someone is making you eat worms."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pearl.

Narice Kaylien thank you for this review! I completely agree. I had to force myself to finish the book, and I only did that because I hate starting a book and not finishing. It was horrible.

Angie I have tried to read other books by Jo Knowles. While I appreciate that she consistently writes LGBT young adult works, they all have the same issues. There's no motivation for the characters to do anything; they just do.