Melissa's Reviews > The Forever Girl

The Forever Girl by Rebecca  Hamilton

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: 12x12-challenge, 2012-challenges, author-review-requests, ebooks, japan, magic-paranormal, wicca-witches, young-adult
Read from April 09 to 13, 2012

I just finished this and all I can say at this exact moment is wow. It's an awesome story that I'm excited to continue reading. I'm definitely going to write a more in-depth review, I just need a bit of time to process my thoughts.

ETA

My initial reaction on completing this was simply: wow.

I absolutely loved this book. It's not perfect, I'll admit, but it's close.

The main pull that had me wanting to read this book is the element of Wicca. Wicca has been a subject that's been of great interest to me over the last few years. My favorite show of all time is Charmed. It's got strong storylines and powerful female role models, and so does this story. I love stories with powerful witches in them. I also enjoy the connection to nature, and simplicity, and peace that Wicca can bring.

This story had all those things and more.

Not everything, or everyone, is always as they seem. Sophia is a typical 20 something, just finished college and moved back home. The people in her town are wary of her, suspicious even, because she practices Wicca. She tries her best to ignore them, but even she has her limits. One night her friend Ivory invites her out to a club, under the pretense of having some fun, and little does she know the people that she meets there and the events that unfold will change her path, and her life, forever.

This book is full of action, suspense, and romance all at once.

I have to admit, that once I learned that there were vampires, my enthusiasm sagged slightly. I was thinking, "Oh no, same tired thing again, witches falling for vampires." And while some of the information is the same, there are a lot of twists and differences to keep your interest. I don't want to give anything away, but trust me, it's different.

I love the attention to detail that the author has. This is just one example that sticks out in my mind, but it works really well. For Sophia's love interest Charles, Hamilton gives him teal colored eyes. Not blue, not green, not even blue-green, but teal. In that simple word choice she had me hooked in to his character and to rooting for him and Sophia as a couple.

The romance between them is just right. Mature, simple, not overly exaggerated. It made me catch my breath a few times, I'll admit.

The concept of a Forever Girl is a new spin on reincarnation. I really enjoyed the idea of this. It's done in a way that I've not read before, and it's a powerful way to let Sophia's past come to light and to complete the strengthening of her magic.

I could probably go on and on about this book but I won't ramble on with too many more details. I don't want to give too much away. I can't wait to read the next book in this series, I hope it's just as good if not better than this one.

*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.

04/09/2012 page 36
10.0% "Loving this so far!"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I look forward to your review!