Nicole's Reviews > I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Feb 09, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, kindle

I Am Number Four is about a race of people called the Loric, whose planet Lorien has been invaded by another race called the Mogadorians. Only 9 children and their keepers, called Cepan, escaped the planet during the raid. These children will develop powers once they get older which will allow them to fight the Mogadorians and hopefully bring Lorien back to it's previous glory. The children (the Garde) and their Cepans make it to Earth and scatter, and the Mogadorians have been hunting them down ever since. However, the Garde has a charm placed on them and have been assigned numbers, so the children can only be killed in the order of their numbers starting with Number One. When a Garde member has been killed, a scar appears on the remaining Garde's legs. The first three have been killed by the Mogadorians, and this novel follows the story of Number Four, the next in line. John is a teenager who constantly moves with his Cepan, Henri, and they now live in Paradise, Ohio. John finally has a best friend, Sam, and a girlfriend, Sarah, and struggles with the desire to want a normal life rather than constantly running from and fearing the Mogadorians. John's legacies finally start to develop, and John starts training to master them. The Mogadorians find John at the end of the novel and a battle ensues, which results in Henri's death. Number Six also finds them and helps fight the Mogadorians, and after their victory John, Sam, and Six are forced to go on the run.

I actually watched the movie first, and later realized it was based off the book. I picked it up right away and fell in love with the series. I found myself waiting eagerly to see what kind of Legacies John develops, and I sympathize with him for wanting a normal life to be with Sarah. I was heartbroken when Henri dies, but the one good thing that came of the battle with the Mogadorians was the appearance of Six, who is an incredible fighter with amazing legacies. John can learn a lot from her and I can't wait to learn about the rest of the Garde.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Number Four.