Julie's Reviews > Shadow Blade

Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: dnf, read-2012, urban-fantasy
Read from February 09 to 11, 2012

I read to about 63% and then this became a DNF for me. I liked that the book incorporated African and Egyptian mythology; so much (not all) of the urban fantasy and PNR that I've read uses European mythology, so this was a nice change of pace. However, I can't get past the Mary Sue-ish main character.

Kira is only 25 years old and yet she's the most bestest, smartest Shadowchaser the hero and his sidekick demigod friend have ever met. She can fight any baddie that comes along. The demigod--the most interesting character in the book--thinks she has "the spirit of the best warrior queens."

She fights effortlessly in a multitude of different styles, including "some [the hero] hadn't witnessed in a century or more". She claims to know capoeira, jiujitsu, and Krav Maga. According to the story, though, she had only five years of training to acquire the super-duper fighting skills, so nope, not believable. And I say this as someone who does have martial arts training in several disciplines.

Kira is also an antiquities expert with a master's degree. When did she have to do this? And how does become an expert within just a few years of completing a degree? If the character had even been ten tears older, I might have believed that she could have acquired all the skills attributed to her. But as is: no.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Blade.

02/09/2012
02/09/2012
23.0% "Heroine strikes me as a bit immature. Not sure this is going to turn out well."
02/10/2012
34.0% "Eh. May have to DNF this. Heroine is coming across as a cocky Mary Sue. Hero and his buddy are much more interesting, but is it enough to keep me reading?"
02/11/2012
63.0% "*sigh* DNF at this point"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Thank you for your review. This is the kind of stuff that would really frustrate me about the book so I'm glad not to waste my time. Also, a Master's student in liberal arts is rarely an expert in anything unless they work in their field for many years as you mentioned. I can say this because I have a Master's in my field and know how much more I have learn before I'm even solid outside my narrow area let alone an expert in the field. And I was a really good student. I'm not working in my field as the liberal arts tend not to pay as well as high tech. :)