Holly Hood's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Mar 13, 12

Read from February 15 to March 13, 2012

Alright, so I finished the second in El James' series. There were a lot of things I liked and some I didn't. The book in general was great because I got to see the change Christian made, and it was the way I would have wanted him to. In fifty shades darker you see that he isn't at all dark like you thought in the first story.
I love that chapter by chapter he let go of all his demons and really dove head first into life. It was a beautiful thing.
The ending was at first confusing, but then I was like holy sh%#!! This might have changed my mind about the next book (which I wasn't sure if I would read).
I will say the author did an amazing job at creating such a character as Christian Grey. I really would like to see someone try and outdo him; I don't think it’s possible. And I honestly hope nobody tries. There is just something about Grey that is unlike anyone I have ever read about and will ever read about. He might be my favorite fictional character because I love how dysfunctional he is.
As for Ana, well, she is annoying most times. I see that she loves him and is caring, but she also is overly stubborn and just has me shaking my head a lot. Some of the things she does or thinks are just over the top. She is either really smart or really stupid about life. I guess they level each other out though.
My only gripe about the writing is the overuse of the word salacious and a few others, and also the inner goddess. I am hoping she packed it up and isn't around in book three. There are only so many times I can handle a description of an imaginary part of a book. I could have learned everything I needed to learn about Ana through Ana, I don't think it was essential to use this "inner goddess" to get the point across all the time.
I think the second book will not disappoint readers. It was even more exciting than the first. It had a lot of great things going on. The last gripe I will mention is the amount of sex; I understand this is what the book is, and what drives a lot of readers wild about it. But at one point, I just felt like it was the same song and dance time and time again. I get that they both are into each other, but it would have been nice to see more to the story then how many ways he can bang Ana.
If you’re looking for a steamy novel with a romantic side as well as one hell of a story and characters, then don't be a wuss and read these books. Its graphic and not for everyone, but I think if you give it a try you will understand its wonderful and less taboo then everyone makes it seem.
If I come off picky with book two, well that’s because I was, I have a hard time reading anything if it doesn't do what I want it to, but that doesn't take away from the fact El James has created a great set of books that I am proud to have read as well as so many others. Great job!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

Quotes Holly Liked

E.L. James
“I wasn't aware we were fighting. I thought we were communicating,”
E.L. James, Fifty Shades Darker

02/15/2012
1.0% "Started the first few pages last night. Already like it."
02/17/2012
23.0% "Love it"
03/13/2012
98.0% "almost finished!"
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal "The last gripe I will mention is the amount of sex; I understand this is what the book is, and what drives a lot of readers wild about it. But at one point, I just felt like it was the same song and dance time and time again. I get that they both are into each other, but it would have been nice to see more to the story then how many ways he can bang Ana.
"

I actually couldnt agree more. I too understand the type of book this is, but the first book hooks you and then by the second book I found I was past the sex and wanted more a juicy storyline. I sometimes find myself skimming the sex scenes as they are quite repetitive. Maybe rather than reading this series front to back I should try and read something in between to get my fix of reading for my own enjoyment as opposed to getting through this series.

Holly Hood Absolutely. I started the third book and I have yet to read anymore of it because it all began the same exact way again. And there is only so many times it all can be done before your fed up.