Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

The author said her inspiration for this story came from Les Miserables, which intrigued me right away. She wanted to write a similar premise but in a futuristic setting. Here the criminal is 15 year old Day, in place of Jean Valjean, and 15 year old prodigy June plays the role of inspector Javert, the detective who makes it his mission to bring Jean to justice. Cool twist changing Javert to June, a female character instead of male. At first the young ages of these characters bothered me; it didn't seem realistic that at 15 years Day could be such an accomplished saboteur, or that June could be a rising star in the military. But the author gets around this by emphasizing that they are both prodigies, child geniuses.

By about page 100 (the Skiz fight!), this book took off with an intensity that wouldn't let me put it down. Seriously. I spent the next 4 hours reading until I finished it. I'm not even sure if I said goodnite to my kids or husband.

Excellent world-building, characterization, premise, love story - this book had it all; the only thing I could have wished for was more connection at the start, but the necessary building blocks had to be set in place for it to take off.

So there is this one scene, I loved it SOOOOO much: (view spoiler).

Tess and Thomas were two supporting characters that were interesting to figure out; neither one were stock characters.

The ending was amazing but heart-wrenching. It was really neat to find out the significance of Day's name and the pendant that his father gave him (view spoiler)

I'm still worried about June's dog, Ollie, and of course Day's little brother, Eden. Will definitely be reading the sequel: I really want to find out more about this second civil war that tore America apart into western and eastern factions.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

Barbara So, I'm gonna have to read this one, too. You had me at Les Mis ;D I bawled my eyes out the last few pages of that book...

Margo Berendsen Barbara - it has a different "feel" to it than Les Mis. I wouldn't have picked up on the connection if I hadn't read the author's notes. It has a very modern dystopian style but I still recommend it to Les Mis fans - also there are some striking parallels to a Tale of Two Cities.