Merritt Phillips's Reviews > The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality

The 4 Percent Universe by Richard Panek

Feb 09, 2012

liked it
Read from February 09 to 17, 2012

Interesting topic, I learned several things about discoveries made by man have helped formulate theories about the universe we live in. The most interesting part of the story deals with two research teams (one at MIT and one at Berkeley) who are competing to see if Super Nova can be used a light references to determine how old the universe is and confirm that the universe is still expanding and will continue to expand forever (so the current theory goes). These physicist have egos for sure. Both teams came to this same conclusion almost at the same time (Jan 1998)based on two entirely different data sets. Only 4% of the universe consists of atoms which emit energy so we can see them. 26% is dark matter (has mass but doesn't emit any energy so we can't see it). The rest is dark energy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4 Percent Universe.