Jill's Reviews > Blood and Bullets

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: r2r, dark-fantasy-horror, urban-fantasy
Recommended for: Urban fantasy lovers
Read from February 08 to 11, 2012, read count: 1

Loved it! I'm a Deacon Chalk fan!

Here's the book summary from the description by the author, "Ever since a monster murdered his family, Deacon Chalk hunts any creature that preys on the innocent. So when a pretty vampire girl "hires" him to eliminate a fellow slayer, Deacon goes to warn him--and barely escapes a vampire ambush. Now he's got a way-inexperienced newbie hunter to protect and everything from bloodsuckers to cursed immortals on his trail. There's also a malevolent force controlling the living and the undead, hellbent on turning Deacon's greatest loss into the one weapon that could destroy him. . ."

I don't like to do summaries, (but everyone does them) I figure no one's reading my review unless they were intrigued by the book summary anyway, and want to see how people liked it! So here goes!

I liked the tough guy Deacon. He is strong, he has no soft edges because he's been hardened in the fire of tragedy. He is well armed, and he knows how to handle himself in danger. He's a likeable character because he is flawed and troubled which makes him more real and easy to relate to. I read to be involved in characters, so there has to be a character I can get involved with for the story to work for me. Deacon has a strong voice, which made it easy for me to get involved in his story. The flip side to this is that Deacon's strong voice often overrides the other characters which is a problem in the book. Kat, Father Mulcahy (the MASH name really was distracting for me, but I tried to let it go!), and Larson all were interesting characters and I'd love to see them better developed, which may occur over the series. (I'd also love to hear more from Charlotte, and Longinus...)

I adored the were-spiders. What a great new twist. Everything is about werewolves these days and it was refreshing to find a really unique, and creepy twist to an old idea! I personally hate spiders so I was determined to hate Charlotte (clever, having the spider named Charlotte leaves it open for many character jokes). She was appropriately creepy, scary and dangerous, but you end up liking her pluck anyway!

Next, the action was awesome, and it kept coming! The monsters were monstrous, all vampires are evil, and we found out their origins! Nice twist to that by the way (trying to keep it spoiler free). Also, the villainess was truly evil while still being beautiful and sexy. I think that I love fantasy and sci-fi for that matter because they generally deal with the battle between good and evil. It's the oldest story, so I like it when the lines are clearly drawn. In this book, you definitely know who is the bad guy.

Since I read this as part of read-2-review and I agreed to give an honest review, I will also list issues the book had. Don't get me wrong, it's on its way to fantastic, but it did have issues. First off, it needed editing. I realize that I got the 'unedited proof' as listed on the front of my pdf copy, so I'm assuming that the mechanical errors are fixed in the edited version. Some of the dialogue is awkward, which again may be cleared up in the editing process, it wasn't enough to do more than slow me down so hopefully it's been fixed. The biggest distractor to me, other those mentioned above, was the fact that he constantly told us how big he was. After the first two times, I got it. I don't like being insulted as a reader, and it felt insulting that I couldn't be trusted to remember that he is 6"5' and 320 lbs. I get it. I also felt insulted the second time he described his tattoos. I remember from the first time. As a writer myself, I realize that these may just be moments of, "crap, did I write that already?" but a proofreader should have caught it.

Overall, it was well worth the read though, and I didn't find any flaws so big they couldn't be quickly fixed. Like I said above, I'm a fan and I will read the sequels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Bullets.