Kristin's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

May 03, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Eugenides is a wonderful writer; I read (and loved) Middlesex, so I am not surprised that I enjoyed this one. Instead of a synopsis I believe I will just share a bit of the genius. The youngest Lisbon girl has successfully done away with herself and the neighborhood boys have come into possession of her diary:

"Cecilia's diary begins a year and a half before her suicide...We became acquainted with starry skies the girls had gazed at while camping...we knew what it felt like to see a boy with his shirt off, and why it made Lux write the name Kevin in purple Magic Marker all over her three-ring binder and even on her bras and panties, and we understood her rage coming home one day to find that Mrs. Lisbon had soaked her things in Clorox, bleaching all the "Kevins" out. We knew the pain of winter wind rushing up your skirt, and the ache of keeping your knees together in class, and how drab and infuriating it was to jump rope while the boys played baseball. We could never understand why the girls cared so much about being mature, or why they felt compelled to complement each other, but sometimes, after one of us had read a long portion of the diary out loud, we had to fight back the urge to hug one another or to tell each other how pretty we were. We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colors went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn't fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them." (pp. 41-44)

Thank you Jeffrey Eugenides. Please continue to make noise; you do indeed fascinate me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.