Katy's Reviews > That Wedding

That Wedding by Jillian Dodd

Feb 11, 2012

liked it
Read from February 09 to 11, 2012

3.5 stars - I'm sorry Jillian, but I just didn't like this book as much as the first one, which I gave 5 stars hands down. Honestly, I didn't start really liking it until near the end. Disclaimer: The following review is not a "bashing" of the book, but a polite explanation of WHY I didn't love this book because I did, in fact, enjoy the book very much - just not nearly as much as the first one. (I know the review is long, but I promise I mention the good stuff toward the end.)

First of all, I thought this book was really long. I understand the first book was just as long, but that one took over a period of 22 years. This one was everything that happened within a few months.

Which kind of brings me to the next point is that I didn't like that there was so much sex in the book. The way the book was written was an entry from each day, and they pretty much did it every day, sometimes several times a day. Sex is good, and I know its because they're new at it, but it was a little too much - I wanted more of the story. I mean, they even do it in a church parking lot, and they think dirty thoughts and speak about them in front of the pastor. Now, I'm in no means a prude, and it was all written very tastefully. BUT the reason I loved the first book so much was because we had a chance to see JJ and Phillip grow up, and we watched how they connected to each other. While I'm glad they are enjoying the passion, it kind of makes me feel that they finally get together, and all they can think about is jumping each other's bones. I just wish a lot of it was more about relationship building - and there was some of that, but it was more toward the second half or third of the book.

And as far as sex go, I don't like that JJ was kind of portrayed as so sexually experienced in this book. Now, I could have sworn that she lost her virginity to Phillip, but I looked back and couldn't find it, so I guess I was wrong. Still, JJ spent almost 22 years of being a virgin, and in this book, all these secrets tumbled out that she had more partners and more flings that I didn't know about.

For some reason, JJ wasn't the same character I loved so much in the first book. I mean, she had her moments in the first book, but she was quirky in a naive way. I know she's still dealing with the sadness in her life, but in this book, she has a chip on her shoulder and constantly pick fits. I don't remember her being so witchy and irritating. She's thinks too much. She's manipulative. And gosh, is she overdramatic about everything. In the first book, I can picture myself as JJ as the events unfolded. In this book, I felt like she was more of the annoying best friend - you know the type I'm talking about. The one that has all the traits you don't like, and if it had been anyone other than your best friend, you would hate her, but for some reason, you love her anyway. That's how I felt about JJ - I still love her, but I just want to shake her silly at times.

And I think her relationship with Danny and Lori are a bit weird in this book. I understand that she and Danny grew up together, and they've always been close. But the way they talk sometimes, it's a bit too much, in my opinion. I mean they send each other sexual text messages not just sometimes but like ALL the time. And it would be fine, but they have a history. If I were Phillip, I would probably be bothered by this - not because I'm jealous - but because a lot of times, it seems like crossing a boundary. And as Lori, even though I understand nothing ever happened with Danny and JJ and nothing ever will, it just seems a little weird that she's so comfortable discussing their past. I mean, I would want to kind of know about my husband's past, but I don't really want to know in detail or discuss it, like all the time.

The way Jillian wrote this book is like JJ's fantasy and not her reality - from the perfect relationship with Phillip to the way too comfortable relationship with Danny and Lori to the way she flirts with everyone and Phillip not be pissed about it.

NOW THE GOOD STUFF.

Having said that, I LOVE Phillip. He's perfect - maybe a little TOO perfect - but how can you not love him. He puts up with a lot of crap - even more so in this book than the first book. I think JJ can be disrespect at times, especially at the bar, and I don't know how he does it. He's sweet. He's loving. And he always knows what to say and what to do. It also doesn't hurt that he's so sexy so I can't blame JJ for always wanting to jump him. I really need to get myself a man like him.

Despite the weirdness going around, I actually like all the other characters in the book. I think they're all great in their own way, and I love that we get to walk down memory lane and how each of them have played a role in JJ's life.

And despite my hesitation about liking this book, I can't help but like it, and I think that Jillian is a great writer. She has a way to make us laugh, even make us cry. Her lines are not at all cheesy, and even when they're supposed to be, they're oh-so-romantic. I love each character's quirkiness, and they are well written, and they have great lines themselves. The dialogue is cute and clever. And even though I didn't like JJ as much or what happened as much, I thought the actual writing (the wording, the phrasing, the telling of story development) was awesome.

And the end was just perfect. From the breakdown and the realization to the pastor's closing of the marriage counseling and the actual wedding. It was the perfect ending to a great story.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Wedding.

Maggie I'm almost positive that when Phillip's mom begins questioning JJ the day before the Huskers game towards the end of the first book is when JJ announces that she is a virgin. I loved the second book but I totally agree with what you are saying with the negatives.

LeAnn Thank you!! I thought I was the only that caught that HUGE mistake! Yes, Jayden was a virgin and then she had sex with Phillip and NO ONE ELSE. But then in this book she's had several partners... Um what?! So I'm just confused and it's really bugging me. How could the author and her editor NOT catch that? Maybe I'm missing something....

message 3: by Katy (last edited Jun 13, 2012 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy LeAnn wrote: "Thank you!! I thought I was the only that caught that HUGE mistake! Yes, Jayden was a virgin and then she had sex with Phillip and NO ONE ELSE. But then in this book she's had several partners... U..."

This is what Dodd wrote in a PM to me shortly after I read it: (view spoiler)

I went back and looked, and there was a really short blurb: (view spoiler)

My problem wasn't that she wasn't a virgin. It was just that her virginity was such a HUGE deal, and I had assumed her partners where Matt and then Phillip, but apparently that wasn't the case. :(

LeAnn Well that was a really vague way of putting it, and then why would she lie to Phillip's mom? I wish she had made it a bit more clear.

message 5: by Katy (last edited Jun 13, 2012 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy LeAnn wrote: "Well that was a really vague way of putting it, and then why would she lie to Phillip's mom? I wish she had made it a bit more clear."

Yeah, it was a really short paragraph compared to the length of the book. But it was just another thing to add to JJ's flaws in book 2. :( But Phillip was still a sweetheart, and I think he's one of my favorite male characters of all time. :)

message 6: by Katy (last edited Jun 13, 2012 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, it was a really short paragraph compared to the length of the book. But it was just another thing to add to JJ's flaws in this book. She was so awesome in Book 1, but I didn't like her very much in Book 2. :( But Phillip was still a sweetheart, and I think he's one of my favorite sweet male characters of all time. :) I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

LeAnn Yes Phillip is amazing! I did enjoy the book but JJ really annoyed me most of the time. Kinda wish I didn't read this book because book one was so good. Oh well!

Brandon I totally got that she hooked up with a lot of guys in the first book and that she lost her virginity to Matt. She keeps talking about seeing 2-3 guys a week- she was in college, I didn't think they were just making out- especially since she wasn't a virgin.

Sydney Tarrant JJ lost her virginity in her first year of college NOT to Phillip but to a senior in Phillips fraternity called Matt. I agree with you at some points, there was way to much sex, it wasn't as innocent as the first book, it was no where near as good as the first book, but it's still one of my favourite series. I love the best friends part of the book. I've always wanted that kind of friendship it's so cute. I basically know the book by the back of my hand and I know that JJ lost her V to Matt in college and then he came back after Christmas to be engaged to someone from his home town. I don't care about the sexual relations with others between this time period... But I don't like the fact that the book focuses too much on the sex. I just thought I'd let you know who she lost her V to :) strange fact to know :) but yeah... I like that's she's not really innocent anymore and she's growing up, but at some points she's frustrating because she acts really dum and some of the drunk scenes are not realistic, which is what I loved so much about the book, how realistic it is! Sorry to Vent :) just love this series :))

Sydney Tarrant No offence meant by this but she's seems really American in gigs book or is that just me:)) I know she's American but... Anyway..

Maddevi *-*solemnly swears that she is up to no good*-* Great review! Exactly how I thought about it. Way too long and the mentions of sex were eye rolling worthy!Philip did not deserve her attitude!