Monica Edinger's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

221952
Feb 21, 12

I went a bit kicking and screaming into the reading of this one because I thought --- yet another soppy sad story of a kid with a serious problem. Not to mention realistic school stories too often feel forced to this veteran classroom teacher. But as I read further into it I was completely taken in. This is a truly lovely story and beautifully, beautifully told. The movement between different characters' points of view is nicely done. The children and adults all seem real as can be, not a one seemed a straw man or someone pontificating a moral. There were moments when I was brought to tears, but they were genuine moments, not a one felt overly sacharine or manipulative. Nothing, in fact, is the slightest bit manipulative in this book.

Nicely done indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Monica (last edited Feb 11, 2012 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monica Edinger Definitely took a while, but it clicked for me at some point (maybe it was my mood) and I really then enjoyed it wholeheartedly. The characters, particularly some of the secondary kid characters, seemed much more authentic than I find to be usually the case in such school stories. Would love to hear what you think.

Alison I was skeptical about this one too, Monica, but WOW was I ever won over!

Ellen I have been VERY reluctant to read this book--as is evidenced by the fact of my just now reading it! However, I find it to be truthful and compelling.

message 1: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I agree. So many middle grade novels are so predictable and flat. This is a pretty miraculous work that I will share with my sixth grade students.