Tom's Reviews > If I Die

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

Nov 05, 12

bookshelves: ya-paranormal, fiction, books-kelly-told-me-to-read
Read in February, 2012

One day, Kaylee Cavanaugh has a conversation, in which she is told, quite matter-of-factly, that her name has appeared on "the list."

"The list" isn't honor roll, a compendium of the most popular girls in school, or an announcement of prizewinners. It is THE List, the list of people who will die soon. Specifically, Kaylee will die next Thursday, just six short days hence.

In the meantime, a new math teacher has come to Eastlake HS, and various female student bodies have taken notice.

One of If I Die's best qualities is that Kaylee has so many relationships to juggle in her final six days.

Does she make up with her estranged boyfriend, Nash Hudson? Does she spend the time with her best-friend, Emma? What about Tod, Nash's reaper brother, who has grown ever-closer to Kaylee?

Plus, her father is risking his sanity (and his job) trying to find a way out, but Kaylee has already had an "extension." Her reaper is a complete bastard named Thane, who can't wait to end Kaylee's life.

So many amazing things happen in this book, and many of them would be spoilers if revealed.

Without giving anything away, I'll say this: Rachel Vincent gets the most out of each character in "If I Die," and I can't wait to see where she takes the series from here.

**note: there are a few novellas available on Kindle, which intersect the Soul Screamers timeline. I would recommend reading "Reaper" before "If I Die," and "Never to Sleep" after. That's just me, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Die.