Lara's Reviews > Blood and Bullets

Blood and Bullets by James R. Tuck

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, r2r, 2012-in-2012
Read from February 15 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

This urban fantasy felt inspired by the Larry Correia Hunter series, at least at first. It has a Catholic widower as the hero who received extra powers in the past. There are nods to other urban fantasy series in the beginning, and an interesting explanation and origin story for vampires.

The lead spends a lot of time with his monologues, explaining rather than acting. It is a bit like someone who loves the sound of his own voice, but that doesn't fit the character. He is tough, religious, and has a death wish. However, he is also humane. The relationship that develops doesn't work for me as it seems to happen too suddenly, and without any real impetus except the girl has a crush on him. It doesn't fit with his devotion to fighting monsters in memory of his family.

The priest character would be fine, except that his working as a bartender in a strip club doesn't makes sense. I thought it might be a cover in a sense, but it doesn't seem to be, so I can't buy it. The women all seem to fall for the lead, despite his stating he is a jerk and not very attractive. In someways it felt a bit like a wet dream. And for all the monologue, there was little personality development of the various characters.

Overall this is an enjoyable story, and is pretty clean as well with little swearing and the nudity is not gratuitous. I liked the description of the unusual were animals, although there were some typos in my review copy that initially had were spelled wwere. I found the were-spiders an interesting addition to the urban fantasy creatures.

I received a free copy through Read2Review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Bullets.