Emma Sea's Reviews > Quicksand

Quicksand by C.S. Laurel

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: mystery, no-sex-just-sweet, university-lecturer
Read in February, 2012

A lovely m/m mystery story with no sex, but lots of love.

I really like this author's work. For me it's kind of like the Amelia Peabody mysteries, but with two gay guys instead of a het couple (and, obviously, set in a small, contemporary university town, and not late-19th century Egypt).

Laurel writes the conversations of domestic partners really well, and captures the friendly bickering that is the oil of day-to-day relationships. It was nice to get the backstory to Bill, as book one left a lot unsaid about his past. You do not need to have read book one: this stands alone.

The tone is light-hearted, and the humour just tickles my funnybone for some reason: "Is it Dress Like The Homeless Day, or are you trying to make me buy you clothes?".

Although the characters don't have sex within the storyline, this book is somewhat darker in tone than the first; there is very short discussion of one character's historic rape and abuse, and the method of two murders is sexual and very unpleasant, although this is mentioned only briefly, and in euphemism. To be clear, no violence is ever described to be titillating, and this is neither a rape-fic nor a dark-fic. It is, overall, sunshine and (literally) kittens.

This book was clearly rushed into publication without sufficient proofing: the MC has a the exact same conversation (with the same bad joke) with a secondary character 1/3 of the way into the book, and then again at the end of the book. In places the conversations are slightly hard to follow, as "he" is substituted for "I" and vice versa (it's written in first-person), leaving the reader going "wait, what?"

However I will overlook all minor errors because I like reading lines like, Not only was the cat out of the bag, it was shedding profusely and meowing loudly. It's silly, right? I can't logically explain the charm, but it's there for me.

EDIT 16/2/12: C.S. Laurel, if you're out there, won't you please join Goodreads and start a blog? Pretty please?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksand.