Rachel's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Feb 18, 2012

bookshelves: daphne-dumaurier, favorites, mystery, gothic, books-i-own
Read in October, 2004

Rebecca has been one of my favorite movies for years. I had to read the book.... *squee*!!!! Daphne Du Maurier was such a magnificent writer. I positively fell in love with Maxim De Winter *melts* Oh and you must see the 1940 film starring LAURENCE OLIVIER(directed by Alfred Hitchcock).

"Glancing at him I thought how unreal he would look against a Florida background. He belonged to a walled city of the fifteenth century, a city of narrow, cobbled streets, and thin spires, where the inhabitants wore pointed shoes and worsted hose. His face was arresting, sensitive, medieval in some strange inexplicable way, and I was reminded of a portrait seen in a gallery I had forgotten where, of a certain Gentleman Unknown. Could one but rob him of his English tweeds, and put him in black, with lace at his throat and wrists, he would stare down at us in our new world from a long distant past--a past where men walked cloaked at night, and stood in the shadow of old doorways, a past of narrow stairways and dim dungeons, a past of whispers in the dark, of shimmering rapier blades, of silent, exquisite courtesy."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Daphne du Maurier
“He belonged to a walled city of the fifteenth century, a city of narrow, cobbled streets, and thin spires, where the inhabitants wore pointed shoes and worsted hose. His face was arresting, sensitive, medieval in some strange inexplicable way, and I was reminded of a portrait seen in a gallery I had forgotten where, of a certain Gentleman Unknown. Could one but rob him of his English tweeds, and put him in black, with lace at his throat and wrists, he would stare down at us in our new world from a long distant past—a past where men walked cloaked at night, and stood in the shadow of old doorways, a past of narrow stairways and dim dungeons, a past of whispers in the dark, of shimmering rapier blades, of silent, exquisite courtesy.”

Daphne du Maurier
“Happiness is not a possession to be prized, it is a quality of thought, a state of mind.”

Daphne du Maurier
“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.”