S.P. Mount's Reviews > A Royal Duty

A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell

Feb 09, 12

I read this book a long time ago and remembered when I saw it here, that I really, really enjoyed it back then. let me begin by saying that the Butler did it.

What I enjoyed most about it was the insight into the life of the Royals at Buckingham & Kensington Palaces, the awe and amazement that Burrell gets across of the young princess being portrayed as vulnerable as anyone else, a normal young woman, a tad spoiled perhaps, but overwhelmed and having to deal with everything that was happening to her under the world's microscope. It also touches on the early days of William and Harry and what they were like as children.

In general, it struck me that Diana's relationship with Burrell was more like any woman's whose best friend is a gay man (the question of his sexuality irrelevant to me; completely unaware of that at the time of reading this book) and not entirely suggestive of the class distinctions. If you like to read about the Royals, this book is written in a simplistic, tell all style which for me was a pleasure to read. It gives a good picture too, of the infrastructure below stairs, the kinds of things that go on in the staff quarters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Royal Duty.