Claire's Reviews > Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited

Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley

Feb 13, 12

Recommended to Claire by: my AP English Lit teacher
Recommended for: someone interested in what came before Hunger Games and who loves satire/drama
Read from February 06 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Now I understand why this book has been revered as a classic - it's incredibly deep. Everything from Huxley's writing to his characterization to his dystopia os creatively and convincingly rendered. And despite having been written in the 1930's, it remains remarkably modern-feeling and undated (notable exceptions include the bizarre cellphone-esque contraption that Huxley invents). Of course I love the Savage's dynamic manifesto (it's in my quotes if your interested), but I thought the last page where the "civilized" people discover that he's committed suicide was written with marvelous dramatic flair. Brave New World is totally worth a read, especially for those who've read the recent crop of dystopian lit (i.e. The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset) and is curious to explore the foundations of the genre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited.