Kristin's Reviews > The Real Thing

The Real Thing by J.J. Murray

Feb 08, 12

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! First, the author...a MAN! Yes! A MAN! I want to meet the man who can write a perfect love story between a man and a woman from the point of view of a black woman. Oh, yeah he's a white man (did I forget the mention that?) regardless, I stayed up WAY past my bedtime just so that I could finish reading this lovely story.

This was an interracial romance, but race was mentioned in the description of the characters but after that race was no longer an issue. I loved Christiana, in the beginning I thought that she was going to be too hard. Being that she was a former hard-nosed New York Times journalist, who decided to work for an entertainment rag (think People Magazine). She was an orphan who was raised by her grandfather who was a former Golden Gloves Boxer so she could speak our hero's language. Yet, while she was hard, she had heart. Which she promptly lost to our lovable hero. I felt like I knew her, cause she could have been me. The girly tomboy, regardless of losing her heart she never lost herself and actually became stronger--you have to read the book to know what I'm talking about.

Now, for Dante...I liked him, didn't love him but I did like him. Mr. Murray painted a picture of the older warrior that must face one last battle before he can retire and give up the fight to his son. Dante was a boxer (think Rocky) who had been a champion but as with all things someone younger and stronger came along to defeat him. His heartless wife, leaves him and he spends 10 years staying out of the spotlight trying to win his ex-wife back. He speaks in heartrending Italian-although he is 2nd generation Italian American. He was almost too cliché. Devote Catholic, who loves his mama and believes marriage is until death...not divorce. However, our fearless heroine enters his life to record his comeback fight and while the love that blossoms is instant...Dante is hesitant because he made a promise to his ex-wife. Where I lost love for Dante is that he clearly loved Christiana but refused to accept his feelings and acted like a punk in front of the ex. After a while his weakness, left me hard to think of him as the champion boxer and alpha male that he should was supposed to be. But, his vulnerability worked even while it detracted. Regardless, it was a great read, and I will be reading more by Mr. Murray.

Review from: www.notnowmommysreading.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Thing.