Eppursimuov3's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

U 50x66
Feb 08, 12

I cannot disagree with Richard Dawkins when he says that the evolution of life is indeed 'the Greatest Show on Earth'! I also agree with him that there are already enough books on countering creationist arguments, and the need now is for a comprehensive book that presents the evidence FOR evolution. This book attempts to do just that, though I was rather disappointed that it wasn’t as comprehensive as I had hoped it’d be. Probably I’m asking for too much, considering the amount of evidence that has come to the fore in support of evolution ever since Darwin published his ‘On the Origin of Species’, not to mention its predictive power and continued validation in all fields of biology. The book is still a good read – and it does a good job of trying to explain what scientists really mean when they use the word ‘theory’. There’s also an interesting story in the introduction where Richard Dawkins teams up with Richard Harries (an Anglican Bishop) to oppose the teaching of creationism in a few British schools, a wonderful example of how atheists and theists can still find enough common ground to work together for the sake of science and education.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.