Mim's Reviews > Homicide in Hardcover

5520617
Feb 08, 2012

did not like it
Read in January, 2012

There are spoilers. Don't read this review if you don't want to know.

I really wanted to like this book because the protagonist is bookbinder and I find that subject area interesting. I like intelligence in my hero/heroine and Brooklyn Wainwright is just too stupid to live. This book is allegedly a mystery but she spent most of the book doing the following activities a.) eating b.)fainting at the sight of blood c.) getting rescued by men and d.)committing book theft. Right before she discovers the body she comes across several people, but never questions any of them at any point in the book as to why they were there. One of those people is her mother. You would think if someone you cared about was just murdered and you wanted to find out who the killer was you would question the people who were last at the scene especially if you had access to them. This book is fluff. Not good fluff like cotton candy at the state fair. Not thrilling fluff like emptying the lint filter on your dryer. It is the lint between your toes fluff you get from wearing socks, it is --meh-- fluff. In this book two people die from getting shot, yet the main character, (who finally solves the "mystery" when she understands her friend's dying words) decides to antagonize the killer and meet him/her. All I could think was, "Seriously?!?!?! You're going to aggravate the killer and set up a meeting with them without some sort of weapon or backup?!?!" Then she gets saved by a pizza box!!!!! Seriously. If your definition of mystery is someone gets murdered at the beginning of the story and you find out who is the murderer at the end of the book, then this book is a mystery. If your definition of mystery is a book where the protagonist solves a mystery using clues, logic and their intelligence (not when they suddenly remember the meaning of their friend's cryptic last words) then this is not a mystery.

Also her family is made up of twee new agey commune dwellers that I've only seen in Hollywood movies.

I will not read any more books by this author mystery or otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homicide in Hardcover.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

Dhfan4life Let's not forget how she was supposed to be on the look out for and questioning Abraham's daughter. But ends up throwing back so many Irish Coffees out of nowhere. I still don't understand THAT one.

Seizure Romero "...it is --meh-- fluff." Indeed. Well put.