Graham's Reviews > Snowdrops

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

Feb 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

I enjoyed the book.

It reminded me in many ways of the story told by Stephen Leather in 'Private Dancer' where an expat in Thailand is taken advantage of. I haven't been to Russia yet however this book painted a picture that matched my understanding. A very cold place in winter that is still finding its way in the post-communist period.

The story is told in an interesting fashion as a confession to his wife-to-be so you know from the start things are going 5to end badly in the story that is being told. My main criticism was that I struggled to believe that the loans from the banks would have been dealt with in such a cavalier fashion given the money involved.

The way the middle aged lawyer was set up was very credible. I smiled as I read how easy it is to get a man to allow his little head to guide his big head - we really are a stupid gender. Even after the conclusion of the scam he still wanted to see Masha again.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting a window into Russia, sad and lonely middle aged men and trust.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowdrops.