Jennifer Peterson's Reviews > I Like Old Clothes

I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: review-books
Read in February, 2012

This was originally published in 1976, but is being reissued this summer with new illustrations by Patrice Barton. I don't remember the original, but this version is certainly delightful.

The poem, by Mary Ann Hoberman, is especially appropriate at this time in my house. The girls have been wearing a lot of hand-me-downs, recycled clothes, and DIY clothes. Much like the kids in the book, they think it's kind of fun to take something and make it their own (or have mom make it into something new - see my experiment here). I don't think the girls think much about the life an item of clothing has lived before it comes to them, but the kids in the story sure do. They don't want clothes that don't have a story - they want to try and figure out how the clothes lived before they came to live with them.

It's a great story and made me think (as a mom) about how thankful I am for friends who pass along clothes, and how I can take something and make it new to my girls.

I received this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. This originally appeared on my blog jenpeterson.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like Old Clothes.