Matt's Reviews > Outcast

Outcast by Aaron Allston

Feb 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, audiobook-library-loan, star-wars, science-fiction, do-not-own
Read from February 06 to 09, 2012

I listened to this as an audio book. This is a story of Luke Skywalker and this Jedi about 40 years after Return of the Jedi. The Galactic Alliance has decided that Luke is a bit of a criminal so begins a political struggle between the GA government and the Jedi Order.

I must say that I really wanted to like this more than I did. This was the first Star Wars novel that I have ever read (or listened to) and, even though I did not like this one too much, I see the potential entertainment value. I really liked the production value of the audio recording. It actually contained a lot of genuine Star Wars sound effects, like blaster shot, light saber sounds, etc. This really made the reading an experience akin to watching a movie. I didn't like that the plot was full of political intrigue. I read novels like this for the action and descriptions of force powers, not political intrigue. The characters were also a bit annoying and there isn't an established "bad guy" character, except for the Jedi that go crazy and think everyone is a clone.

Overall, this wasn't a great book. Too much politics resulted in a boring read. This notwithstanding, I will be trying other Star Wars novels, but I will have to try a different author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outcast.

02/08/2012 page 200

Haris dasti The ideal book to start with is Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire. It was the first entry into the continuing adventures of the characters from the first trilogy. I think you will really like it