David 's Reviews > Preaching in the Inventive Age

Preaching in the Inventive Age by Doug Pagitt

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: ministry
Read in February, 2012

Church is too passive for most people, says Pagitt. I agree. I don't think the point is to go to a big meeting, sit quietly in an audience and watch people perform on a stage. Listening to a 45 minute lecture is not church. Pagitt suggests pastors move past "speaching" in which one person dominates the meeting. Instead, he suggests "progressional dialogue" which allows all persons to take part. But it is not just a discussion, it is more an open-ended sermon.

There are many ways this could manifest itself. For Pagitt, he spends Tuesday night going over the text for the next week with a group of people. The group is open to anyone and through their discussion the sermon for Sunday forms. During the sermon there is much time for all people in the community talk also.

I think this is a good idea. As I read, I realized I have already put some of this in place in the campus ministry. Pagitt anticipates many questions people will ask; the book is not necessarily meant to be read beginning to end but rather for the reader to jump to the chapters that interest him/her.

At times Pagitt does seem to make claims that seem unfounded, perhaps he goes a bit too far. But overall, this is a book I think any preacher should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preaching in the Inventive Age.